Temperature sensor manufactured by maxim, is widely used in temperature measuring applications. It is used in hard conditions like mines, chemicals and soils. It is available in both formats water proof and rugged. As per the requirement we can use the sensor in our application. Measurement range is between -55 to +125 degree and +-5 degree. Every sensor has its own address and it requires only one pin of any microcontroller to communicate. Data is transferred by only one pin. So it saves pins of microcontroller.
1 wire communication method is used to communicate with DS18B20 sensor. It works with the data pin connected with pull up resistor with microcontroller and other two pins are used for power, one for positive and another for negative voltage. DS18B20 Microcontroller Circuit Diagram When the bus is not in use a single pull up resistor is used to keep the signal line in high order state. Internal storage of sensor is used to store the temperature which is 2-byte. To read the temperature 1 wire method is used to send the command and in return values are passed back to the microcontroller. A simple hardware circuit is used in the application.
Applications DS18B20 Sensor
- Thermally Sensitive Systems
- Industrial Systems
- Measuring Environment Temperature DS18B20
- Consumer Products
- Measuring Liquid temperature DS18B20
- Thermostatic Controls
- Medical devices and equipment
- Multiple uses of DS18B20 sensor.
- One wire interface to interact with microcontroller with single pin.
- A Unique 64 bit serial code in every sensor.
- Doesn’t required external components.
- Can be powered from same line using supply range is 3.0V to 5.5V
- Measuring range is from –55°C to +125°C (–67°F to +257°F)
- ±0.5°C accuracy from –10°C to +85°C
- Conversion to 12-bit digital word in 750ms (max.)
- User defined alarm function